The Becky Miller Books
The Secret Life of Becky Miller – Available now from Bethany House Publishers.
Faster than a speeding minivan, able to leap piles of laundry in a single bound. It’s a bird, it’s a plane. It’s Supermom!
Move over, Walter Mitty. Here comes Becky Miller. A young mother with grandiose daydreams and a longing to do “Big Things for God” searches for direction amid the chaos of daily life and the disappointment of failed opportunities.
Becky’s rich fantasy life helps her cope with the pressure to be a Wonderful Wife and Marvelous Mom. But she keeps hearing the tape play: “Your mission, should you choose to accept it: support your husband when he loses his job, nurture an eccentric circle of friends, raise perfect Christian children, live a life full of grand Purpose, all while standing on your head and whistling Dixie. Your fantasy will self-destruct in five seconds.”
- Armchair Interviews “She adeptly mixes the absurd with reality and it packs a punch.”
- Blog Critics “Hinck’s skill with language and her comedic timing in telling this modern parable will delight anyone who enjoys good writing.”
- Book Loons ” . . . a superlative novel, a must-read for every Christian mother.”
- Christian Fiction Review “Highly Recommended”
- Christian Women Online “Meeting Becky Miller was like looking in the mirror.”
- Dabbling Mum “It’s a book designed to inspire women where they are right now!”
- Faithful Reader “Fun, yet fast-paced style.”
- Inspirational Romance Writers “A great read for those Moms struggling with their faith and how to fit their roles in the big picture.”
- Novel Reviews “From page one, Becky Miller sneaks into your heart.”
- Once Upon A Romance “What a joy!”
- Romance Junkies “This is one of those books people will rave about.”
- Romantic Times “A lighthearted and humorous look at a mom striving to be all that she can be for God.”
Becky Miller believes in fixing things: children, friends, mother-in-law, sister, church . . . and her husband. So renovating a run-down farmhouse is right up her alley–the perfect antidote for the pressures of modern life.
But Becky’s pursuit of the simple life is soon threatened. Her mother-in-law moves in, her son finds trouble at school, her sister arrives for a visit, her best friend is acting weird, all while work stresses mount. Worst of all, her marriage is in need of some major remodeling of its own.
Cinematic daydreams provide Becky with heroic drama. Maybe that’s why she escapes into the scenes so often. In real life, everything is a muddled mess. Who knew one old house could lead them to the brink of bankruptcy? Or that Becky’s physical handicap could threaten to steal their dream?
Can Becky stop fixing everyone else and let God renovate her heart so she can find her own happy ending?
DID YOU KNOW…
Renovating Becky Miller is interactive? It includes a discussion guide for book groups in the back of the book AND a list of the movies that inspired each of Becky’s daydreams, so you can play along and guess which role she’s imagined for herself in each chapter.
“If you’re looking for fantastic mom lit, this book is it. It felt good to laugh with a friend and then cry as she walked through struggles that felt an awful lot like mine.” – Cara Putnam, American Christian Fiction Writers
“Hinck’s writing put me into the protagonist’s skin. I felt for her, worried with her, ached when she did, and cried when she realized what she needed to know.”– Rebecca Luella Miller, A Christian Worldview of Fiction
“Once again, I’m impressed by how REAL this family feels.” – Tim Frankovich, Christian Fiction Review